Saturday, January 16, 2016

Plumeria Cotton Candy Strawberry Handcrafted Soap

This was one of the last soaps I made after finding out that I was getting ready to leave for Korea. I really, really enjoyed how this soap turned out except for some initial difficulties after the soap hardened up.



Base Oils: Coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, canola oil
Superfatting: Sunflower Oil
Fragrance: 25/25/50 plumeria/cotton candy/strawberry
Additives: Sodium lactate, tussah silk fibers

This soap was made with my recipe that I've found to be very slow moving but rather hard after curing. There was no rhyme or reason to the colors I picked; I just wanted some major contrast between the yellow, red, and blue. I did a mica oil drip over the top while the soap was still setting up and used that to get the silver swirls you can see on top. I got scared while pouring my soap as the batter as still quite thin, which tends to make colors blend together too much. Fortunately it turned into this quite lovely swirl with only minor blending. My titanium dioxide did drag in the soap when I cut it, but I'm okay with that. I didn't feel like buying some sort of coffee grinder to micro ionize my pigment. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

Now is where my difficulties set in. The fragrance blend smelled absolutely gorgeous in the beaker. While unmolding I noticed that there was a weird, rancid note to my soap. It reminded me of scorched goats milk, but I didn't use any goats milk in this soap. It was really disheartening initially. As time passed and the soap continued to cure that weird note died down and as of two weeks ago Mom reports that there is no weird scent note. Yay!

I can't really report on the performance of the soap as I did not bring any with me and nobody from home as started using it. If they start using it and tell me anything about the soap I will go back and edit this post. Based off the recipe I used, though, I expect this to be a gentle but firm bubbly soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment